Thursday, July 12, 2012

Story Time

About 650-ish boards ago something happened, I fucked up.


I kicked off a bucket of resin too hot while in a hurry and left the cup on the board.  That board was the first She Hull and would in the next few weeks make a total shift in the rhyme and reason behind my work and it's execution.
The cup delaminated a 4" circle on the bottom of the board, where the resin had heated up and melted the cup to the board.  I panicked and called Kyle Lightner, I was fuming and a bit concerned for the board we were to share.  He told me to let it happen as it was happening and trust myself in the process;
 I removed the delaminated circle of glass leaving a white hole just above and to the side of the fin-box on the deep navy blue blade that was nearly complete.   I signed my name and wrote the date inside the white circle, glassed over it quickly with UV resin and was on my way in a host of different directions, on a singular path.


I don't claim to be any kind of force in the surf industry; hell I don't even want to be a part of it, but I guess a lot of people are paying attention lately.  I didn't invent the circle.  I didn't create abstract theory.  I didn't revolutionize the logo.  But it's hard to not notice the glut of resin circles being used as logos now; to a certain extent I don't mind.  I can't claim the circle as a logo, but I will claim it as my inspiration and my constant reminder of what and why I'm doing what I'm doing; and it's become my brand.  If you can find an example of a resin dot on a board pre-2009, let me know, but I sure as shit haven't ever seen one so when it's blatantly copied I really only ask one thing; Know what you're copying.  If you believe that your boards are momentary and products of a spark of curiosity and drive, then go for it, put what I consider my logo on your board and put your name on top of it.

I've seen piles of copies, from people near and removed from my work.  I've even seen EXACT copies, signed in there and everything, the same placement, the same size.  I've seen them all over the industry and locally now, too.  Its getting under my skin a bit now so I wanted to put it out there, the full story of the resin dot and why it's there on every board that I build.  If you feel so compelled, the story is here to read in rather excruciating detail...Take it in and then apply it if you're going to continue using something so close to my heart.  Put that circle on the bottom of your board, just above the fin, and remember every time you look at it why its there and how it happened.  Its a good feeling, just make it for the right reason, its more than a compositional dot to the people involved in it's origins.




The original She Hull and the dot that changed my life. 



  


5 comments:

andy said...

I'd say the same could go for Gato's rough lap lines. Look at how many guys do that now.

Ryan said...

they most definitely sparked a little revolution there, but the difference is that's not their logo, its a style but not their brand's identifying mark.

Jason A Gonzalez said...

The dot lives...SB core expression, rock on!

GATO HEROI OZ? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Migration Surf said...

Michel Junod was collaborating with Thomas Campbell on the dot pre-2009 on the Pignars (also w/ Dan-O). Also, the dot(s) have been a staple of Carl Olson since back in his Pearson Arrow days(although in a different placement, and much cleaner, which is well before 2009. Not to say that you copied it, but it's been done before. Cool story of how you came to yours, though!